Shea buttter more popularly known as ‘Ori’ has come to be a household beauty product. Initially discarded for foreign skin care products, individuals especially the youths have come to realize the immense benefits that come with Ori. It’s uses are versatile from the skin to the hair, mention any natural product for hair or skin, shea butter has to be among the top 5 in your list. It’s gotten from seeds of the fruit of the Shea (Karite) tree and known to be a rich source of vitamins A, E and F. Usually recommended for those looking to keep that melanin popping, it’s a wonder people choose to associate with brands that will eventually lighten your skin.
Ori when unprocessed and raw is the purest and best form to be used as it has not gone through stages of processing which will kill some of its vitamins and other natural properties, thereby reducing its benefits. Here are some benefits associated with this
* Shea butter provides protection against the ultraviolet radiations of the sun, thus acting as a natural sunscreen protection. Shea Butter is considered as the best skin care product for different seasons especially during this harmattan period as it provides extra moisture and nutrients needed by your skin.
* Its healing properties are quite amazing. It aids in clearing nasal congestion. When experiencing nasal congestion, you can apply Ori to the nostrils to clear the passage.
* Shea Butter works many wonders on your hair. When applied to the hair, it conditions the scalp, alleviates dandruff, decreases that dreaded frizz and also moisturises the hair.
* Shea Butter also soothes and protects your lips. Applying Shea butter several times a day to the lips makes the lips look healthy and protects them from cracks.
* Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, Shea Butter is used as a medicinal ointment for massage. Locally, it is also used in treating bone injuries.
* It’s also used to treat eczema, scars, skin discolorations, blemishes, chapped lips, stretch marks and other skin infections.
* It’s used as a disinfectant and also as a healing agent due to its high content of vitamin A. Applying Shea butter on insect bites gives a soothing relief.
* This moisturiser aids in repairing cracked heels. If you are suffering from cracked heels, it is recommended that you apply Shea Butter and put on cotton socks before going to bed.
* Shea Butter could also be used while shaving. Either before shaving or after shaving, Shea butter can be applied to soothe irritations and also to improve the condition of that part of the body.
* Shea Butter, due to its anti-aging properties helps in preventing wrinkles and facial lines.
Dr. Bolanle Omisande
Spa Consultant & Medical Acupuncturist